Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dick Snyder Dick Snyder is offline

Default Glue up hell

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:

I am happy to report that I was able to wash the toy box a couple of
times
with a sponge, letting it dry between times, and all the glue dust came
off
without resorting to resanding and possible applying more stain. I still
don't plan to use white glue again but at least the results were not
quite
so painful.

Glad the story has a happy ending.

I don't know any woodworkers that still use white glue. I always use
either yellow glue or Titebond Polyurethane Glue.

The trick to glue is to let it cure until it's solid, but soft and
squishy, then gently scrape it off with a chisel. Be careful not to cut
the wood of course. If you wipe it, you'll often force it into the
pores and stain the wood. Cutting it off after partially cured leaves
very little on the wood. Much easier to deal with.

The polyurethane glues foam up a lot, but are quite sandable. They'll
also give you a longer working time before setup.

So we can look forward to some photos of the finished product soon I
presume?

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

I had chosen white glue for the slower setup time. Polyurethane glues would
have worked too but I didn't want to be scraping the foam out of all those
corners inside the toy box. Here are some (disappointing) pictures. In the
pictures it looks like I either failed to put my finish on correctly or the
box is covered with dust. Neither is the case (I don't think). To my eye,
the white blotches are not there but to the camera, they ARE. Huh.... In any
case, here is the finished box. I sure wonder why the photos look so
weird........

My kids have other furniture in my grandson's room that is made of birch
with a cherry stain. I'm not a big fan of birch because of the way it takes
a stain (sort of like pine) but they wanted it to match everything else and
so it does.

Attached Thumbnails
Glue up hell-toy-box-006-1-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toy box 007-1.jpg (215.3 KB, 53 views)