Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Water and sewer bills dependent on water supply pipe diameter

On Dec 14, 5:41 am, "Bud H" wrote:

After a check with my neighbors, it appears the city charges WAY more per
cubic foot of water if you have a 1-inch diameter supply pipe coming into
your house (and is where the city metering device is installed) than if a
5/8-inch diameter pipe is supplying the water.

My local utility (Phoenix AZ area) charges the same rate for the
water, regardless of meter size. Although you do pay a usage penalty,
your 2nd 10000 gallons of water costs more than the first 10000. The
difference in the meter size comes into the base charge. With a 5/8 or
3/4 meter, you pay $13 flat fee plus your usage charge - 1 inch meter
costs $20 plus usage - 2 inch meter costs $65 plus usage.

Can't imagine why the usage rate would change with the meter size,
that doesn't make sense.

You sure you don't have a leak somewhere? Have you compared the
gallons used with your neighbors?

Jerry