Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Natural Gas Log Set - Vented or Not? How to tell?

Oh pshaw, on Fri 14 Dec 2007 06:27:57a, Jeff B meant to say...

On Dec 11, 10:44 pm, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I can't speak to your damper or chimney, but I know of no open fired log
set that does not need venting.

????? Huh ???? I've been using an unvented gas log set for almost
10 years in my basement/family room. It was purchased from a gas log
fireplace store and they sell LOTS of different unvented units. My
flue is closed and virtually all of the heat comes into the room
rather than up the chimney. I have a CO detector in the nearby
hallway and have NEVER had a problem with CO buildup, moisture, etc
etc etc. My family and pets are all still alive and kicking.

--Jeff

Obviously there are different designs and requirements for different log
sets. The logs we had in our home in Ohio definitely required venting. It
was indicated in the owner's manual and stated clearly by the isntaller.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 13,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas