Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Politics

Just Wondering wrote:
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

....incidentally I do feel a Government should tax and spend as
little
as possible but they are responsible for fulfilling the publics

mandate for desired services or functions.

I'm curious about how far you think that responsibility goes. If
the
public desires universal "free" health care, for example, is the
government responsible to tax and spend enough to make that
possible?
What if the public desires universal free ivy league quality higher
education, or universal housing, or universal sirloin steaks at
hamburger prices?

And therein lies the problem. The public has somehow gotten the
notion that government-provided services are "free" because there's no
direct charge for them.

Nobody presents it as "are you willing to pay x thousand dollars a
year every year with the price rising with inflation in order to get
this service?" No, it's always "free this" and "free that".

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)