Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Water and sewer bills dependent on water supply pipe diameter

On Dec 14, 7:41 am, "Bud H" wrote:
I moved into a new house in northern Indiana and a recent water/sewer bill
was over $100 for only two persons living in the house and not using
excessive amounts of water.

After a check with my neighbors, it appears the city charges WAY more per
cubic foot of water if you have a 1-inch diameter supply pipe coming into
your house (and is where the city metering device is installed) than if a
5/8-inch diameter pipe is supplying the water.

So if two houses both use the same volume of water in a month, if one has a
1-inch supply pipe it is billed almost twice as much as a house with a
5/8-inch supply pipe.

Is it just me, or does seem completely ridiculous to be billed so
differently for the same volume of water?

Bud H

It is likely that they are NOT charging you more for the water (in
fact, it might actually be less) but they are charging you more for
the meter. That's common.

Around here, I think a 2" line has a meter charge of about $250 per
month and a 1" has a charge of about $25 per month. We're building
apartments so we went with a 2" meter so the cost per apartment is $15
per apartment per month. What I'm trying to say is that the costs are
all relative, depending on what you need/want.

BTW, I think some local codes require 1" on new residential
construction, so that might be the difference if you house is newer
than you neighbors'.