Posted to alt.home.repair
Howard Howard is offline

Default Water heater failure - ruined flooring

If you decide to use a pan, DON'T use a plastic pan under a gas water
heater. They dry out and crack after a few years. I know, the pan
didn't last as long as my heater. Luckily I caught it when it was
only a small leak. Our area now requires a metal pan (easy to find,
about $20) now. Also might want to check the main shutoff valve now,
just in case.

On Dec 13, 9:40 pm, "Michael Thomas, Paragon Property Services,
http://www.paragoninspects.com" wrote:
Your rubber laundry hoses go too, look at an auto mains shutoff, and a
tray that goes under the tank you connect a hose to and run it to a
drain.

The floodstop valves are installed upstream of the hoses.