Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Washing machine water pumped to septic tank

"Jeepwolf" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 01:49:01 -0800 (PST), "Mike S."
wrote:

(snipped)

The toilet is the main thing tha needs a septic, but the kitchen sink
tends to have
greasy water and with a garbage disposal it's worse. Either way, the
kitchen sink should also go to the septic.

In reading some old "do it yourself" books, I've read that it used to be
that a small grease trap (looked like a miniature septic tank) was put in
the kitchen drain line just outside the foundation. Then the water
continued on to the main septic tank. The grease trap was cleaned out now
and then as it had a visible lid on top.
It seems to me that some places in California required that grey water be
used to water lawns/plants, etc as water was too valuable to send to the
sanitary system without getting the most out of it. I seem to remember that
in Mesa, AZ. they promoted doing this to save on costs of treating it at the
treatment plant. Of course this was mostly in the more rural areas where
the neighbors wouldn't complain.

Tom G.