Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Rear projection "cracked" red gun

"N|A-Orion" wrote in message
I have a 52" Hitachi rear projection HDTV. The red gun was too hot and
throwing off the colors of the display, so I opened up the bottom of
the cabinet to see if there was anything that could be adjusted/
cleaned up to try and correct the color. I found a series of knobs
that adjust the intensity and focus of each crt, and began to test the
sensitivity of the knob and how much they needed to be turned to
acheive a certain amount of adjustment. Apparently I turned the red
gun up way too high and the display turned off. I turned the red back
down, turned the tv back on, and now have what appears to be a "crack"
at the top of the red gun. I am not sure if this is in a lens, or a
coating, or the crt itself. I was wondering if anyone could take a
look at these pictures and advise me what the issue is.

https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.na-is...a-is.com/r.jpg
https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.na-is...a-is.com/b.jpg
https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.na-is...a-is.com/g.jpg
https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.na-is...-is.com/bl.jpg
https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.na-is...a-is.com/c.jpg
https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.na-is...-is.com/r2.jpg
https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.na-is...-is.com/c2.jpg

It looks like you burned the phosphor, the tube isn't cracked but it may as
well be. It looks like there was a momentary loss of deflection, perhaps a
poorly designed protection circuit didn't kill the beam before shutting down
the horizontal deflection.