PrecisionMachinisT

Default deep hole question

"michael" wrote in message
Tony wrote:

Are you drilling in a lathe, mill, or drill press? What kind of drill &
fixturing,,Jacobs chuck, morse taper drill, ?? Is the drill new or has

it
been resharpened? Are you center-drilling prior to drilling? Is the work
being moved after the center-drilling or is it done sequentially? How

are
you feeding the drill, and at what feed rate? Higher feed rates = more
error.

With a proper setup I would expect you should do better that 1/32" that

you
are getting now.

Tony

No ****! Hell, I work closer than that with a hatchet. A dull one. Uphill,

in
the snow, both ways. ;~)

Even Sam could probably do it. heavy sarcasm

Hey now!!!

I do at least *occasonally* read this group.............

Suggest first center or spot drill, to a diameter slightly greater than the
finish hole size, then drill through with a slightly undersize drill,
perhaps one of them fancy parabolic flute types.

And, as I hadnt noticed at first the depth / dia. ratio here--next, I would
probly finish the hole with a 3 flute core drill.

For even better results, I would bore with an endmill to a very slight depth
using an endmill that is the desired finish size, just prior to the core
drill operation.

Finally, all of this is out the door if your quill or knee travel is not
*exactly* parallel to your spindle bearings rotational axis.

Cheers,

--

SVL