Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Well, in the interests of adding some balance... guns *are*
a problem. But almost any/every useful tool can be abused
and often is. Banning the tool doesn't achieve anything.
Should we ban knives, chainsaws, automobiles, pencils and
everything else that has the potential to be used (abused)
as a lethal weapon? I think not.

Uh, I'll bite: What's "the problem" with guns?

Neither the pro-gun lobby (who often ignore the very real
problem) nor the gun control lobby (who generally seem to
think that yet another ban/control law will solve the
problem) advance the discussion.

The euphemism, "the problem," is a shortcut for what, exactly?

For example, "the problem" (temporarily) solved by the Assault Weapons Ban
was that the prohibited items "looked ugly." That is, the AWB dealt with
purely cosmetic features. None of the prohibited items involved caliber,
rate of fire, muzzle velocity, or anything affecting the operation or
effectiveness of the weapons, except maybe the bayonet lug proscription.

In the meantime, responsible individuals need to make
their own personal choices on this issue. But responsible
citizens will make an informed choice versus burrying
their heads in piles of dogma.