Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Water heater failure - ruined flooring

wrote:
Finishing my basement. Regardless of whether I put carpet or
engineered hardwood, I don't want the flooring to be ruined (or be a
bed for mold growth) if the water heater decides to go, which will
eventually happen (10 years old now). I've heard horror stories of
several inches of water flooding the basement when these systems
fail. My water heater and furnace are going to be in a separate
10x14' room as I finish the basement, so is there anything I can do to
mitigate the risk of ruining the flooring in the main room should the
water heater fail after the basement project is complete? I was
thinking along the lines of some caulk or sealant along the floor
plate to isolate the mechanical room somewhat - although a long enough
leak before noticing it would still rise above the floor plate and
into the adjacent room. Any ideas? How do others deal with this?
Proactively replace the water heater? Deal with the wetness and just
try to dry out wet carpets/wood flooring? Thanks

Mine in furnace room next to finished family room in basement just
failed but it is next to French drain which would have taken up water
although not a flood and I do not have and do not need sump pump. Thirty
plus years in this house with probably 5 water heater failures due to
slightly acidic water but none have been catastrophic. Tray or dam with
some place for water to go is what you need. I would worry more about
storm water.

Frank