Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Real leaves dipped in metal

On Dec 11, 11:57 am, Don Foreman
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:29:16 GMT, Ecnerwal

wrote:
In article
,
Nancy2 wrote:

Sorry to jump in here without any history in the group, but does
anyone know if the process to make leaves permanent (veins of real
leaves are made semi-transparent through a filigree process-they are
dipped in liquid metal and every leaf vein becomes visible) is one of
those dangerous-chemical-bath-metal-process things that the ordinary
lay crafter can't do at home?

The ones that I am familiar with are electroplated. Getting the original
object to take the initial plating is one problem, doing a decent job on
the plating as a whole and stopping at the correct point is another
problem. Some of the solutions are fairly nasty, especially if going for
gold plating, as far as I recall. Not unfeasible to do at home, but
quite possibly more trouble than it's worth to do at home, considering
all factors - toxicity of solutions, hazardous waste disposal, fume
ventilation, etc. You'd want a dedicated locked space so children and
pets can't get into stuff.

Plating small objects at home, except for chrome, need not be either
difficult nor any more hazardous than some common household chemicals.www.caswellplating.com
There are non-cyanide processes that work very well for zinc, copper,
nickel, silver and gold. Environmentally-responsible disposal is
possible. Instructions and materials for safe and responsible
disposal are provided. Small objects can be plated in an enamel pot,
plastic bucket or glass container. I use pyrex beakers because the
shape works well.

There are no fumes, again excepting chrome.

Caswell's stuff comes with excellent instructions. It's no more
difficult than cooking. It isn't cheap, but it definitely works and
is capable of excellent results.

I'm not a shill for Caswell, just a satisfied customer for some years
now. I don't do chrome. That is indeed nasty stuff. - Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the input, Don. I appreciate it. The project with leaves
requires (for my use) that they be "stripped" of all the leaf material
that is not vein, before coating. I think that's the sticking part
here.

N.