Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Suspended / false ceiling - how to fit it?

On 13 Dec, 11:55, Clive wrote:
Thanks people.

It's coming down (when I have someone lined up to skim the plaster
boards).

Lovely jubbly.

Clive

Take it down - why ? It will create a serious mess and I mean serious
- and you will also have to get rid of the muck. If you are putting
up 2 x 2 battens for the 'screwed on' plasterboard, they will hold the
original plasterwork in place perfectly well - just user longer screws
into the ceiling joists. Taking off the plaster is an unnecessary
operation.

And because it all screwed, there won't be any shocks to disturb the
old plaster. If it does detach later, it's only going to fall in small
bits an inch or so and will happily sit on the plasterboard. Ive
done one ceiling myself that way and two that were done by a builder,
and there's a bedroom one to do and SWMBO will certainly not tolerate
any further mess after all these years.

Rob