Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical wiring .. (dare I ask )

In article ,
Appin wrote:
It sounds like you've got old cable called 7/0.29. There will be 7
strands of 0.29" twisted together for the live and neutral and 3 of
0.29" for the earth. That is the old standard ring main cable replaced
by single strand 2.5mm TW&E about 40 years ago when such things went
metric. If it has PVC insulation it should still be fit for further
service. If earlier it could be rubber and likely to need replacing.

Hmm.............. While it was general to use 7/.036 for ring main work
before metrication, that would have had 7/.029 for the ecc.

I've never seen 7/0.36 used for a ring main. Rather overkill and there
would be problems wiring it to the sockets where there was a spur.

If the OP's cable has three strands to the ecc, then it was probably
indeed 7/.029 which would have 3/.036 for the ecc.
(IEE Regs, 13th Edition)

That could be - it's a bit before my time. The stuff I've seen looked
rather like the same size strand used on all conductors.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.