Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default sharpening chisels

On 13 Dec, 15:04, Stuart Noble
wrote:

The same ones was being sold in Poundland last year, I bought a set to use
as scrapers and then went back and bought another two sets when I realised
how good they were. ( for the price)

There's a lot to be said for soft steel that sharpens easily on whatever
happens to be lying around at the time

These are actually quite a hard steel, albeit somewhat brittle. They
appear to be the same sort of low-alloy high-carbon steels that are so
celebrated if they're pre-war and stamped with a Marples' cloverleaf
(although not laminated).

The funny thing is that they're not desperately good at the use for
which they're sold. I bought a set to hammer through plaster when
sinking electrics (because I need _something_ for this sort of abuse).
If correctly sharpened they're a useful bench chisel, but they're a
bit on the brittle side for toolbag hackery.