Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default screws and screwdrivers

robgraham wrote:

On 11 Dec, 22:42, "Roger Mills" wrote:

If you're using an electric driver, or drill-driver, forget anything
with a Pozidrive-type head - the bits cam out and chew the heads up too
easily. Instead, use screws with T-star (Torx) heads.

I will counter that suggestion, because what Roger is forgetting is
that few of us have Torx bits whereas we all have cross head bits of
one sort or another, so that any future maintainer will be unable to
do these screws he is suggesting you put in.

Sorry - but that's nonsense. When I was a kid, no-one had anything other
than flat blade screwdrivers - but that didn't stop Philips and Pozi screws
becoming popular. Many electrical appliances (not to mention cars!) are held
together with torx-head screws, so most keen DIY-ers will have at least some
torx bits.

I don't have any problem with cam-out and that is with a selection of
Screwfix cross head screw types because I make sure I use drivers in
good condition, and I use a sensible torque setting on a battery
driver that is not over powerful.

Yes, but what happens when you try to *remove* a screw from wood that's past
its best? You have to push axially onto a screw with a cross-head bit - with
the result that the screw simply rotates but doesn't actually come out.
Whereas with a torx screw, you can rotate it without pressing on it - so it
comes out easily.
--
Cheers,
Roger