Posted to alt.home.repair
Chip C Chip C is offline

Default will electrical inspectors looking at recent work scrutinize oldwork and require changes?

On Dec 12, 11:46 am, wrote:
I'm considering doing some wiring myself. As I poke around the
innards of my house I've found various examples of previous homeowner
wiring that doesn't meet code. I haven't seen anything dangerous, but
it wouldn't have passed an inspection had one been sought.

Ditto to the other postings; I've recently asked this of the local
inspection authority and they were pretty clear: they will inspect
just the new work, but will not ignore unrelated stuff that's
obviously and immediately dangerous.

However, a few years back I was getting an inspection of new kitchen
wiring, and as the inspector was eyeballing things he asked if my gas
piping was grounded. This had nothing to do with the new kitchen
circuits. It appeared not to be and he said I should ground the gas
pipe to the water main; he helped pick a good spot to do it. I didn't
push him on whether he'd pass my kitchen without it, I just said sure,
thanks, and that was it.

So I would be prepared for such helpful advice.

Chip C
Toronto