Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Tools you didn't know you needed

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:30:56 -0800 (PST), Brent
wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:44 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Leon Fisk" wrote

Somebody made a sling-shot, weight and string rig too.
Nowadays someone would probably freak out and call the
police if they saw you with a sling-shot...

--
Leon Fisk

Electricians in the convention industry in Las Vegas use sling shots with a
Zebco reel taped on to shoot a nut carrying fishing line. They then pull a
rope that pulls their cables through the bar joists that support the
ceiling. Been doing it for quite a while.

Steve

I saw the greenlee cablecaster and as a kid i had a little fishing rod
called a pocket fisherman. It was a closed face reel and about 18
inches long overall with a little peice of rod

I am CURSING MYSELF for having lost it in the changes of houses
because casting a nut or sinker with it would have been so nice. I
never attached much faith in it as fishing equipment since i always
used open bail reels from the age of about 8 onwards and it seemed
like a gimmick or something to put in a suitcase I suddenly wish it
was in my toolbox.

Brent
Ottawa Canada

Pocket Fisherman is still around. Take a look and choose
your poison, everyone and their brother sells them:

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&...t+fisherman%22

It would be good to attach one to the RC of your choice too.
Then the RC vehicle would be paying out line as it went, not
having to drag it along. Just don't get too carried away,
eventually you will have to reel it back in from some spot.

I wouldn't go for the hottest slingshot either. When I used
to fish with a bow & arrow the critical moment for the line
is right at launch. If the line wasn't up to snuff it would
snap right when it started stripping from the reel
(commercial reel setup too). You would want a sling with a
long weak draw, more of a lob type shot. The best method
would be to shoot the reel. Maybe a shuttle used in weaving
would work (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b