Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default screws and screwdrivers

wrote:
Hello,

My cordless screwdriver seems to be on its way out. Its a Bosch model
hat I have had a for a few years. What is the life expectancy of the
batteries in these? I presume they are not replaceable?

I think the battery is worn out because it will not hold a charge.

Is it time to upgrade to a new one? Do you recommend a dedicated
screwdriver or should I use the opportunity to get a cordless drill? I
would think a drill might be a bit too bulky for screws.

I'd go for a cordless drill driver maybe 12v. Good makes are surprisingly
powerful for their size & weight. Makita, DeWalt or Bosch are worth a
look - lots of good deals around.

I suppose you might recommend an impact driver but they seem very
expensive.

Only if you are driving large screws/coach bolts or large quantities of
screws.

By the way, is there such a thing as a general purpose screw or is it
a matter of a different type for each application? Up to now I have
used Screwfix's Quicksilver range. I only really use it for joining
bits of wood or with a wall plug. I'm running a bit low, is there
something better I should stock up with?

I use Quicksilver with wall plugs & Turbo Gold on wood. Turbo Golds are
brilliant - fast driving, no pilot, work right up to the edge without
splitting.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk