Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default ok, what is this wrench really?

On Dec 10, 10:43 pm, "William Noble" wrote:
I got an adjustable wrench at a club's auction yesterday, looks like this
one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...30101402#ebayp...

on one side it says "THE ELGIN", on the other side it has a star logo that
says ELGIN vertically, and the G is the first letter of Genuine, and the I
is the first letter of Improved, and it says trade mark registered June 8,
1897, Jan 9, 1906, may 20, 1913

the jaws are obvious, but the small and large holes in teh handle are not
obvious - what the heck are they for? what was the purpose if this wrench?

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page,www.wbnoble.comand find my email

wil lia m_b_n obl e at msn daught com

I have one of these I inherited along with a bunch of other antique
car tools, my grandfather ran a garage at one time. I assumed it was
used for the same purpose as the other alligator wrenches in those old
car tool kits, removal of fasteners. Mine isn't in as good a shape,
though. Most of the old car bolts had square heads, an alligator
wrench would work fine and the manufacturer wouldn't have to supply a
bunch of diffferent wrenches to fit each bolt size. Kind of a proto-
Crescent wrench.

Stan