Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 66 degree house?

Joe wrote:
On Dec 10, 3:58 pm, wrote:
On Dec 10, 11:51 am, Joe wrote:

I've been experimenting with my thermostat the past couple of weeks to
see how I can save energy. I've noticed that if I keep my thermostat
at 67 degrees my boiler will cycle every hour or two to maintain the
temp - but if I set my thermostat to 66 degrees it will cycle every
4-6 hours. It's been around the 32 degrees outside all week. Is there
a natural temperature that a house can hold for longers periods? If
so, how can I raise that temperature?

Add insulation. It worked for me. My house never gets below 55, and
rarely gets below 60, but used to get down to about 50 when I had no
insulation in the attic. And yes I do live in the northeast US. On
the rare freak occasion where it got down to 55, it was below freezing
for several days and I havd been away from home for a couple of days
with the heat off. Running appliances, the TV, etc does warm it up
noticably. Probably saves some wear and tear on my refirgerator too.

where did you add insulation? My attic is pretty well insulated, my
big problem is my outside facing walls. Some rooms the walls get
pretty cold but I know they are insulated because my entranceway has
no insulation at all and that wall is stone cold. I also have a
picture window that has a storm but still is very cold to the touch
and I know a lot of my heat exchange is taking place there with my
radiator right underneath. Anyway to warm up that window? I have
insulating blinds but they are not airtight and I can feel cool air
coming from around the edge when they are drawn.

Unless it has been added to or was done relatively recently, it could
probably still use more altho that wouldn't be where I'd start given
your other descriptions.

Doing the uninsulated wall area(s) would help undoubtedly. There are
ways to add into existing cavities. Depending on what you have in the
walls it could be possible to add there.

A storm window or even one of the clear plastic sealing kits over a
storm window will make a significant difference in all likelihood just
by itself.

If there are any leaking doors, windows, around electrical outlets,
etc., that's big as air movement takes a lot of heat or lets in a lot of
cold air depending on which way it's moving.

What's under the floor in the heated area?

There are local utility companies that have energy efficiency surveys as
part of their consumer services -- might check w/ them to see what is
available. For some upgrades/improvements there are still a few w/ cost
share or no-interest loans and there can even be some tax credits
depending on what you do...