Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Hard drive gets no power

wrote in message
http://computers.pricegrabber.com/ha...ves/m/36088637

Things that are coming out of the factories and off the assembly lines
right now are already old hat compared with the things coming out
tomorrow.
WebTV boxes don't have hard drives.The first models did, but that was
only for the WebTV TV side, for storing tv programs/titles to be
scrolling across the bottom of the tv screens one minute before the tv
programs start on tv.It is solid state nowadays.I use mine all the time.
cuhulin

I'm well aware of the current state of SSD technology. The drive you linked
to is a tiny 32GB capacity and the price is astronimical at over $500.
That's enough money to purchase several terabytes of magnetic disc space,
while a 40GB hard drive can be had for under $50, I don't think anyone even
manfactures anything less than 80GB anymore even in laptop drives.

For an appliance like webtv (I didn't know they were still in business)
solid state storage makes sense, but for most computer users who want
hundreds of gigabytes for storing audio and video media on top of today's
bloated software, traditional hard drives are still far in the lead as has
been the case since I first saw them in the mid 1980s and I see no signs of
that changing any time soon. At that time 20MB was a decent hard drive and
SSD cards were in the 256KB range but the price to capacity comparison was
similar..