Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Fluorescent shop light woes

In article D5A7j.3035$xd.1922@trndny03, "James Sweet" wrote:

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
Within the past few months I installed a new fluorescent shop light
fixture in the basement. Came from Lowe's if memory serves. This thing
has been killing bulbs ever since. Three replacements already. I've
never had this experience with a shop light in the past. Of course the
fixture is made in China. Do you think the design of the fixture is to
blame or is it just a manufacturing defect. On the other hand the bulbs
could be defective, but the ones I'm using aren't cheapos. They are made
by GE, but who knows in what country.

I'm ready to pitch the fixture and replace it with one made in America if
such a thing is still available. What do you think?

It's a defective ballast, these are the ultra-cheap electronic type right?
Buy a decent fixture with a real ballast and you'll be much happier. If it's
less than about $25, it's not worth getting.

The 10 I bought for $10 each had real ballasts.

I recently bought a ballast for $40, but that was a 4 tube
ballast. The two tube model was $30.
When you buy from Grainger, its not Wally World.

greg