Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Cheap parts storage

"Old Guy" wrote in message
Bill,

My interpretation of your problem is that you need a way to organize a
closet space, cheap. I was in Walmart yesterday and was amazed at how
much tool box I could buy for $10. They were so cheap and nifty that
I tried hard to find an excuse to buy some.

If I had your problem, I'd put in a few shelves, buy some cheap tool
boxes, and then some of the plastic food containers and some water
based magic markers.

Thanks, shelves I have already:

One long closet with pole, holds all my clamps (closed on pole).
Miscellaneous crap gets put in bags and zip tied to the pole to keep it off
the floor. Underneath the pole goes all the none woodworking parts/tools in
stacked Sterilite boxes. Mechanical tools/tool box are also in this closet.
One mostly blind closet on the short wall holds sheet goods, compressor and
a a couple of barrels of shorts/firewood. The other closet (disaster) has
all the finishes stored on the bottom shelf, with less used items buried in
the blind area of this closet. The second shelf holds all the fasteners
scaterred about, not sure what's on the blind part of this shelf. :-) Third
shelf holds all the power tool cases and miscellaneous small parts. Top
shelf is open to the closet next door and holds all my longer dimensional
lumber, up to about 16'

Hand tools get stored on a pegboard behing the bench and the bench holds all
the crap that never got put back on shelves 2 and/or 3. :-) Table saw is
used as overflow for the bench.

Put small stuff in the containers, containers and larger stuff in the
toolboxes, tool boxes on the shelves and mark the outside with the
contents. Stack the tool boxes as needed for access. Change the
marking as needed. 4-5 tool boxes would handle my storage needs.

Yeah I kinda like the toolbox idea. Pretty sure I saw these cheap ($19?) at
HD a year back, but never bought any. I wonder how heavy a TB full of 6"
bolts would be though. I can picture a screw comming loose, a large box of
bolts falling through the bottom or popping a nut trying to lift it.

Stuff you don't use often can be kept on shelves that are less
accessible in boxes, tubs or what-have-yous that seem to accumulate
around the house.

I always find that my shop is more fun to work in when I have stuff
put away and (sort of ) organized.

Old Guy
Who needs to do another pick-up and organize in the shop.