Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Tools you didn't know you needed

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
Leon Fisk wrote:

Somebody made a sling-shot, weight and string rig too.

Here are three different patents illustrating the idea:

I was made a sling shot with a fishing reel attached, to shoot line over
tree limbs, to start ropes for felling. Didn't work for ****. Problem
was the line would get tangled in the slingshot. Went through a number of
revisions before I gave up.

It works better if you use an arrow in the slingshot. Bend a piece of
coat-hanger wire for an arrow guide, with a bent notch between the two arms
of the slingshot. Tie the string near the point of the arrow, rather than
the nock, if you have any trouble with the string getting caught in the
rubber.

This is the setup I've used to launch a string for radio antennas, over
trees, in the field. I've used a closed-face spincasting reel taped to the
front of the grip and I've tried open-face. Closed face is less troublesome.

--
Ed Huntress