Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default screws and screwdrivers

By the way, is there such a thing as a general purpose screw or is it
a matter of a different type for each application? Up to now I have
used Screwfix's Quicksilver range. I only really use it for joining
bits of wood or with a wall plug. I'm running a bit low, is there
something better I should stock up with?

If you're using an electric driver, or drill-driver, forget anything with a
Pozidrive-type head - the bit cam out and chew the heads up too easily.
Instead, use screws with T-star (Torx) heads (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10664) such as Screwfix 24061. They come in
various diameters (designated in mm rather than conventional screw gauge)
and lengths. You'll need to get a set of Torx bits if you haven't already
got any, but you'll never look back once you've made the change.
--
Cheers,
Roger