Posted to uk.d-i-y
beamer beamer is offline

Default 1/2 inch silicone bead too big?

On 11 Dec, 22:14, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 05:41:23 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
I've recently tiled my bathroom and left a 1/2 inch gap between the
tiles and the bath. This seems a bit wide to seal with a bead of
silicon. The install notes that came with the bath recommend a 1/4
inch gap max.. And filling the bath with water will increase the gap
even more.
What are the best options for sealing tround the bath?

* Cut a big bead width on the tube and go for it.
* Apply the silicone in several layers, over a few days.
* Use some sort of sealing strip.
* Pack or fill the cavity (what with?) to reduce the gap.

Advice welcomed.

Thanks
Mike

a practised mastic applier can do a 12 mm joint no problem
you may need to practice
apparently you can buy a tool that gives a good finish on the web

i woul;d roll a sheet of newspaper into a tube the right size and push
that into the gap
you may need more than 1 tube

and you should clean every thing including your hands before you start

1/2in gap big deal

breeze- Hide quoted text -

Seconded. I had something similiar a while ago. Rather than paper I
managed to wedge some *very* slim offcuts of tile in the gap and got a
neat and tidy seal. My logic was that tile offcuts wouldn't change
their volume over time and cause problems later.

I'm sure someone will correct me here, but I also applied the seal
when the bath was full of water to allow for any movement.