Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Cheap parts storage

I'm looking for some cheap portable parts storage.

I've tried a number of storage options over the years including the case
with all the little drawers, tin cans, baby food jars, etc.

The option I like the best are these parts containers made by Stanley:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Consumer-Storage-014725M-
Professional/dp/B00005QWYF/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1

They're relatively expensive (about $15 each), but are available at any
home center (or online at Amazon). The nice thing about these is they
hold a lot of small parts, you can reorganize the bins as needed, and you
can easily grab your entire screw collection and go work somewhere else.
The clear lids let you see everything in the case at a glance.

I use the ones with the small bins for screws, nails, etc., and the ones
with the larger bins for plumbing fittings, larger bolts, and even use
one to keep computer related items in (ethernet cables and whatnot).

If those are out of your price range, my second best choice are the small
plastic containers made by Plano:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-2-3650-20-Medium-Utility-
Box/dp/B000HJ950K/ref=sr_1_4

These come in a variety of sizes also. You can find them online, in most
home centers, or in most retail stores where fishing supplies or storage
containers are sold. They're a lot cheaper than the Stanley storage bins,
but they only hold about half as much. And, they're more difficult to
reorganize as your supplies change.

I used the Plano containers for years until I upgraded to the Stanley
containers. We now use my old Plano containers to store Christmas
ornaments in. Works great.

The advantage of these two types of storage containers is you can knock
them over, flip them upside down in your car, or whatever and the parts
won't get all mixed together. Don't try that with the case of little
drawers!

For larger storage needs (like storing my Kreg pocket screw jig and
accessories), I just pick the appropriate sized Rubbermaid containers at
my local grocery store.

For the REALLY big stuff (Romex cable, large pipe fittings, car parts,
etc.) I use large clear storage bins (Sterilite brand, I believe) I
bought at a department store.

Have fun!

Anthony