Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul[_9_] Paul[_9_] is offline

Default My review of Harbor Freight's 93977 Ratcheting Crimper

In article , "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

I would like to look at the HF crimper, to compare it with my
collection of AMP crimpers. If it is good enough, I might use it for an
on-the-road tool to avoid taking three of the AMP ones along. (I would
among other things, check how it crimps the insulation support.) But
for building something, I would use the AMP ones. And for building a
*lot* of something, I would get some of the compressed air driven
crimpers from AMP which show up in eBay auctions from time to time.

For some semi-volume production crimping, say 1,000 to 2,000 crimps per
week, we rely on a pneumatic tool available from Paladin-Tools Co,
www.paladin-tools.com. Part No. 901510.

It is simply an air cylinder with a frame/clamp that holds a
ratcheting-pliers type crimping tool (their 1300-series pliers in our
case) and closes them for you with a foot operated air switch.

It would be easy enough for a handy HSM'er to fab one. Bought new they
were about $500 to set one station up IIRC. These 1300-pliers use
interchangeable die-sets for different terminals. Works a treat for us.

Thanks also to the OP for the review.

--
Paul S
Remove Before Flight