Posted to uk.d-i-y
petek petek is offline

Default sharpening chisels

On 11 Dec, 17:26, wrote:
Hello,

I bought a wood chisels for fitting hinges to doors. Having hung doors
in every room in the house, the chisel is now looking worse for wear.
How do I sharpen it?

I have got an angle grinder, so I presume I could use a metal grinding
disc but is this possible? Would I have to clamp the grinder to a work
bench?

Would you recommend that I buy a desk-top grinder instead? Or since
this was a cheap and cheerful chisel, are they supposed to be
considered disposable?

How many times can a chisel be re sharpened? I presume they get
slightly shorter each time you grind them?

Are there any web pages explaining sharpening technique? Do you have
to grind a particular angle?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I inherited one of my Grandad's chisels via my Dad. Bevel edge, 1"
wide. Blade length is about 1" ! Still good for chopping out old putty
from window frames etc.

Pete