Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default 1/2 inch silicone bead too big?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:40:45 -0800, wrote:

1. Retile starting from bath up (use wood shims or match sticks to
space tiles off bath) like most people do.

Too late for that. I would have to take down and redo nearly three
walls.
When I was laying the tiles, I initially tried using tile spacers to
space the tiles off the bath. But they couldn't support the weight of
the tiles. So I ended up shoving part tiles underneath to give a solid
flat base. Unfortunately, when I removed the part tiles, the gap was
bigger than I anticipated.

2. Put shims under bath legs to raise a bit so reduce gap.

The bath is screwed to the wall, using 2 brackets. And the brackets have
been tiled over. Shifting the bath up would probably cause this to move.
What do you think?

Any gap bigger than 1/4 will work its way open pretty quickly as well
as looking crap.

Looks like a sealing strip is needed. But try to fill the void first
with silicone, or tile adhesive, or something(!)

Thanks
Mike

AISI you have a couple of options.
1) If the style permits you could use ceramic quadrant bead tiles (these
only work with plain white tiles of the right size and a generally "inter-
war" style).
2) Using a diamond blade tile cutter cut very thing tile strips.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk