Posted to uk.d-i-y
JakeD JakeD is offline

Default Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 01:35:03 -0800 (PST), RobertL
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy casein glue, hide glue, or some
other *natural*, (i.e., animal or vegetable) water-resistant glue for
hardwood? (I only need a small amount!)

Hide glue isn't waterproof. That's actually an advatage sometimes.
You can take apart the chair, or whatever, and reglue it.

BTW, I mean the sort of hide glue wher you mix pellets with water in a
little cooker and then apply with a brush hot.

Yes, I remember that from when I restored an old lute once.
A little research now suggests that casein glue is rather more
resistant to damp. But so far I have not been able to find any of the
natural stuff. All I have found is a synthetic version. I'm wondering
if I can simply use casein protein powder from a sports nutrition
outlet.

JD