Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Solar Heating?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:15:20 +0000 someone who may be Peter Parry
wrote this:-

Most interesting indeed. He has a single solar collector virtually
identical to the Thermomax one used in the DTI test (DTI/Pub URN
01/1292) tilted at a similar angle and with slightly less optimal
alignment yet managed to get 5,400kWh in a year wheras the Energy
Monitoring Company Ltd for the DTI could only manage 1,010 kWh from an
identical panel in one year.

The difference is that the DTI test did not involve systems fitted
in real houses connected to a real gas boiler undergoing real draw
offs. I don't recall the detail of what size of storage the DTI
panel was connected to and whether they observed it reaching the
maximum temperature and thus shutting down.

The author does not claim that all the reduction in gas consumption
was due to the solar panel, yet you imply this would have to be the
case.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh