Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BillM[_2_] BillM[_2_] is offline

Default Smoothing a rough hole--suggestions?

I've got a passage in a die head that I need to smooth up.
Looks like it was drilled
and nothing further was done to it. Material is hardened
P20. Hole is 18mm straight
with a through length of 12-13 inches. I need to get the
inside smooth/polished with
no visible surface pits. scratches, drill marks etc.
Estimate I'll have to open it up
10-15 thousandths to get below the worst of the grooves.

Hole goes through, but I only have 1 1/2" clearance on the
back end, so everything has to be done from one end. Final
diameter, concentricity, straightness and taper aren't
important. I would actually like it to finish with a slight
taper, smaller at the rear.

Mounted points, followed by Cratex and then polishing
compound on a felt bob?
Expanding carbide reamer first to get it smoothed up a bit?
Flex-Hone and a brass lap?

Thanks,

Bill