Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default chain drive lathe

"JohnM" wrote in message
m...
So why couldn't one replace that dumb ol' flat belt on an old lathe with
roller chain? I seem to remember that roller chain drives don't offer
perfectly smooth power transfer, but is it going to be a big deal? The
biggest loss, for me anyway, would be the loss of slippage when crashing
the carriage but the advantages of no slippage/shucking of the belt under
heavy load seem attractive.

John

The one negative to consider is the pattern that would develop from the
chain. It could very well manifest itself in the finish of the machined
part. Or not.

Harold