Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Tapering problem

In article , tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
[top-posting corrected]
Doug Miller wrote:

I'm afraid I don't have an explanation for that. But I still urge you to try
cutting a few from the bottom up, and see what kind of results you get. At
least, if you still have the problem, you'll know it's not due to blade
deflection.

I'm still wondering, too, if everything is as close to square as you think it
is. What type of square are you using to check your setups? Have you verified
that your square is square?

My square is an un-named combo square. It has ATHOL Mass written on it.

Very possibly a Starrett, then -- among the very best.

It was owned by a machinist who past away.
I also have, machinists squares with knife edges (ownded by him as well)
to double check it.
It is square!... I have verified it against the machinist squares and by
drawing a line and fliping it.

Sounds like you've eliminated that as a possible source of the problem. How
about the alignment of your saw?
- blade absolutely perpendicular to the table
- miter slots absolutely parallel to the blade
- fence nearly parallel to blade (a slight toe-out is acceptable)

Still a good idea to cut a few tapers bottom-up to see how they come out.

--
Regards,