Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Tapering problem

My square is an un-named combo square. It has ATHOL Mass written on it.
It was owned by a machinist who past away.
I also have, machinists squares with knife edges (ownded by him as well)
to double check it.
It is square!... I have verified it against the machinist squares and by
drawing a line and fliping it.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
[top posting corrected]
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , tiredofspam

nospam.nospam.com wrote:
[top posting corrected]
Nova wrote:
By chance are you also using a thin kerf blade?

Yes I am.

Even more reason to think the problem is exactly as Jack and I have said: the
blade is deflecting. It seems to me you have three choices:

1) Switch to a standard-kerf blade. This may not eliminate the problem, but
it's likely to reduce it.

2) Cut the tapers from the bottom up. The risk of tearout is nowhere nearly as
great as you fear it to be.

3) Live with the problem.

I guess I'll have to take that for face value.
Somehow I find it hard to believe that it doesn't happen on both sides.

I'm afraid I don't have an explanation for that. But I still urge you to try
cutting a few from the bottom up, and see what kind of results you get. At
least, if you still have the problem, you'll know it's not due to blade
deflection.

I'm still wondering, too, if everything is as close to square as you think it
is. What type of square are you using to check your setups? Have you verified
that your square is square?