Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Politics

Charlie Self wrote:
On Dec 10, 3:53 am, Just Wondering wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
Just Wondering said:

That language comes from the preamble to the constitution, which,
despite what some people including apparently you believe, does
NOT grant the federal government any power.

And where is the Constitutional provision that empowers the IRS?

Don't change the subject. The subject is the preamble. Here's
what
the United States Supreme Court had to say on the subject:

"Although that preamble indicates the general purposes for which
the
people ordained and established the Constitution, it has never been
regarded as the source of any substantive power conferred on the
government of the United States, or on any of its departments. Such
powers embrace only those expressly granted in the body of the
Constitution, and such as may be implied from those so granted.
Although, therefore, one of the declared objects of the
Constitution
was to secure the blessings of liberty to all under the sovereign
jurisdiction and authority of the United States, no power can be
exerted to that end by the United States, unless, apart from the
preamble, it be found in some express delegation of power, or in
some power to be properly implied therefrom."

Jacobson v. Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11, 25 S.Ct.
358
(U.S. 1905).

Now that all the Constitutional lawyers have had their say, I have
go out to the shop and replace the belt on a 10" bandsaw, tune a 16"
Steel City bandsaw, and put the tables on a 15" Craftsman planer.
After that, I have to set up to write a handle-replacment article,
which means cleaning up a fall's worth of mess, moving some studio
flash units and cleaning off the top of a battered workbench.

Lucky you. I gotta put a new roof on the garage and it's 33 degrees
and raining.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)