Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:52:22 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:36:45 -0800 (PST), wrote:

How do you cope with this, the paranoia of buying a bottle of milk? -
there MUST be some alternative besides being armed to the teeth...

Andrew VK3BFA.

If you were to visit, I think your impresssion would be very different
than the one you've formed from the sensational media and from a very
few but very vocal gun owners. Except for perhaps a few gang-infested
inner-city neighborhoods, the USA does not rattle with gunfire as the
media might lead you to believe. One might hear gunfire in the woods,
fields and wetlands during hunting season, not otherwise.

Yeah, the media show only the negative happenings in the societies of
the world. TV is -NOT- real, boys and girls.

I live in a major metropolitan area, the Minneapols-St. Paul
(Minnesota) seven-county metro area. I have never in the 40 years
I've lived here seen a gun even brandished, much less fired, in any
public place other than a range. It is safe to go to any mall when it
is open. Children go to them routinely. Malls have security guards
to curb shoplifting, but they are very rarely armed.

I regularly hear them on the 4th of July and New Years Eve (idiots),
but only occasionally from the bush (BLM land all over the place here
so there are hunters in season.)

people demonstrably get crazy. There was a thread on this NG after
Katrina re the question of whether or not it is moral to steal from
another in such a situation. The majority of posters thought it was
moral for the imprudent to steal from the prudent in such a situation.
Wow! I secured my carry permit shortly after that.

I don't recall that point in the discussions, Don. Can you give me a
reference point to google? I thought folks here were much more sane.

I regard the likelihood of an armed intrusion into my house as
vanishingly small. There hasn't been one in my community in 40 years
as far as I know.

My pistol is for insurance, both in the house and out
hiking/photographing nature. I carry auto insurance for the same long
odds of something happening. shrug

--
My future starts when I wake up every morning...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.