Posted to alt.home.repair
Manjo Manjo is offline

Default Blue Tape on Wallpaper

On Dec 4, 10:24 am, Manjo wrote:
By mistake, I applied a medium strength 3M Painters Blue Tape on a
fine-sddBy mistake, I applied a medium strength 3M Painters Blue Tape
on a fine-paper wallpaper in order to protect it while I painted the
crown moulding. As a result, when I began to remove the blue tape, it
took a couple of patches of wallpaper off the wall.

I was eventually able to get the tape off using a heat gun on low.
While getting the hang of heat/speed, I bubbled/blistered a 2 inch by
1/4 inch wide patch of new moulding paint with the heat gun.

My questions a

1. What brand/type masking tape can I use on fine-paper wallpaper to
avoid pulling off the top layer of paper when removing the tape?

2. How can I fix the edges of the paint blister and finish it so it'
looks better?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, and comments.

Manjo

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I've finally got the large blister
about 98% fixed. I painted the trimmed blistered edges with an oil
based primer. This seems to have dried out and stiffened the
"whiskers" at the edge enough so I could sand the them off with a 220
wood sandpaper. The edges smoothed out enough where I could then
prime the blister again and then put on a finish latex coat. Since
the patched crown moulding area is 7 1/2 feet high and not over a
dooway or in a high traffic area, the patch is almost unnoticeable
unless you stand there and look for a while.

Manjo