Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default My review of Harbor Freight's 93977 Ratcheting Crimper

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

It doesn't do as good a job with stranded wire as a good crimp. When
stranded wire is soldered, some solder wicks up into the strands which
effectively makes it a solid wire for a short distance, and therefore
as vulnerable to flex fatigue and failure as solid wire would be.
Crimped connections are used in aerospace applications.

Yep. That is the standard response by people that have no
idea what a crimping system is all about. I used lugs and
tools by AMP and Burndy and several others in the business
on electronic equipment for the millitary for many years.

This is what's wrong with questions and answers on the net.
What is level of "expertise" of the responder and the
understaning of the "asker" ?

So ... you're saying that the idea of solder wicking up the strands and
making the wire stiff and vulnerable to fatigue is wrong? If so, is it
because you have soldered crimped connections without problems? And you
have done so on the military equipment you cite?

Looking for clarification is all,
Bob

No. I personally have not, but there have been MANY very extensive
tests done by "testing labs" to prove the point which has
resulted in the procedures required by government acquisition
agencies.
...lew...