Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default What Size Phase Converter do I need?

RainLover wrote:

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

About 20HP would do it. I'd really consider rewiring it to single phase
which would draw 54 amps. With the RPC you are going to draw more to run
the motor + cranking up 20HP might dim your lights depending on the size of
your service.

My 5HP starting up flickers the lights a bit out in the garage.

I seem to remember something about 3 phase keeping the elements powered
longer but I don't see how you get past P=IE no mater what you do.

Wes