Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default New ISP to read RCM?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2007-12-09, Jim Sehr wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Verizon is downgrading my dial-up service so I'm looking for another
ISP in southern NH, preferably one that doesn't fill my computer with
spyware or charge my credit card until the next Ice Age. I tried to
Google a few that have local numbers and found that they are smart
enough to stuff in hundreds of favorable entries, like the 'French
Military Victories' stunt.

Which ones are decent? I'm not looking for fancy, just simple and
reliable.

Jim Wilkins

[ ... ]

Try copper.net they let you try it for $1 and then if you like it you
can
get it for $ 99 year. Or less then $10 a month if you want it monthly.
They
have local # all over the country.

I can't tell for sure where you can get a reasonable ISP, though
you might check whether Covad serves your area. I'm using them, but
I've got a serious high-speed full-time connection -- a T1 line, and you
proably don't want to pay for that. They also offer DSL and ADSL
connections -- and maybe even dialups.

But for a reasonable news server -- try www.newsguy.com to set
up an account. They have their own newsreader (which I haven't tried,
since it is for Windows and Macs) but I do use their news server itself.
Cost is $9.95 a month, and since I don't bother with the binary
newsgroups, I simply accumulate more unused bandwidth every month. It
was one figure until recently (and I was growing my bandwidth backlog
then), and they have now jumped to ten times that monthly bandwidth, so
it will be not too long before I have a terabyte of unused bandwidth.
If I ever get hooked on the binary newsgroups, I could do a major
downloading binge for a while. :-)

Doesn't Newsguy have a $70/year rate if you pay for a year at a time? I'm
pretty sure that's what I'm paying but have been using them for several
years and may have been grandfathered into that rate. It would be worth
checking out if saving $50/yr is important to you.

Mike

Note that Covad's news server is quite poor in my experience.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564