Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Glue for biscuit jointed melamine boxes

On 2007-12-10 09:16:35 +0000, "LSR" said:

RzzB wrote:
I want to make some boxes out of 18mm white melamine faced board.
I'm intending to used biscuit joints.
Any thoughts on what glue I should use?

Thanks,
Roy

If you want the biscuits to strengthen the bond (ie they are not just for
alignment) you need a water-based glue to make them swell. I'd suggest PVA.

Yes and no.

If you have a good quality biscuit joiner and cut carefully, the
biscuits will be a fairly tight fit anyway and other glues such as
polyurethane, or epoxy can be used.

I am not convinced about the use of PVA with the edges of chipboard,
although it is fine for MDF.

Contact adhesive may be a better choice for chipboard but using the
biscuits purely for alignment.