Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RainLover RainLover is offline

Default What Size Phase Converter do I need?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:43:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 10, 12:26 am, RainLover
wrote:
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

I would expect it to be fairly easy to rewire the kiln to use single
phase power. Who makes the kiln? And what model is it. It is very
likely that you can use the existing elements. The worst case would
be that you have to install new elements. Which would not be all bad
as elements age and fail. So you would be starting with new
elements. You can get new elements at Seattle Pottery.

Dan

Thanks for all the answers (and non-answers) everyone. I'm looking at
a lightly used kiln and less than 1/2 of what it would cost new. I
think the main reason is the 3 phase requirement.

It's a Skutt 1227 if that helps in your answer.

I HAVE a 5HP phase converter for a roller, but someone else said it
would take 40 HP to do it. I don't know what it would take to rewire
it to single phase... that sort of thing is way above what I know how
to do, generally speaking.

I really need a kiln and this one seems priced right, but not if I
NEED to get a huge-ass converter.

James (seattle-ish)