Posted to alt.home.repair
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Hot Tub Repair or Advice Needed

Thank you. I'll check them out.

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:26:38 -0500, "JB"
wrote:

I have a ten-year-old Balboa hot tub that has served us well but required
numerous repairs over the years. The hot tub technician would come,
replace
parts, and present us with bills for hundreds of dollars. After a while I
started to do my own repairs, replacing the controller and the pump. (I
can
turn a wrench.) I replaced the pump. Now the hot tub has quit again and
the
tech tells me the pump needs to be replaced. This would be about he fourth
one. Motor and wet end. The techs are very condescending. I have had it
looked at by three different guys and none of them will specify whether
the
problem is with the motor or the wet end or both or something else. Just
says whole the whole unit for about $350 to $500 depending on which one I
have asked. I can get a motor and wet end for this on eBay for about $170.
am sick of this conflicting advice. I would like to work with an HONEST
technician who could tell me which part(s) have failed and why. I am in
Noreth Georgia. Any advice on how I could these parts tested or reputable
techs would be appreciated.

These folks are fantastic to deal with.

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/

4 pumps in 10 years is absurd. Nonetheless, I would strongly suggest that
you
order a complete motor and wet end pre-assembled.

These "techs" you have been dealing with sound like imbeciles or thieves.
Determining if it is the motor or the wet end is a no-brainer. If the
motor
doesn't run when power is applied, the problem is the motor (or maybe even
just
the contact assembly inside the motor)

If the motor runs and the water doesn't get pushed through the system,
then the
wet end is bad.

It's rarely both, but I would recommend replacing them together,
regardless.
It's very often not possible to remove the wet end undamaged, and reuse
it. Just
replace the whole unit.