Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Tub Repair or Advice Needed

On Dec 9, 2:26 pm, "JB" wrote:
I have a ten-year-old Balboa hot tub that has served us well but required
numerous repairs over the years. The hot tub technician would come, replace
parts, and present us with bills for hundreds of dollars. After a while I
started to do my own repairs, replacing the controller and the pump. (I can
turn a wrench.) I replaced the pump. Now the hot tub has quit again and the
tech tells me the pump needs to be replaced. This would be about he fourth
one. Motor and wet end. The techs are very condescending. I have had it
looked at by three different guys and none of them will specify whether the
problem is with the motor or the wet end or both or something else. Just
says whole the whole unit for about $350 to $500 depending on which one I
have asked. I can get a motor and wet end for this on eBay for about $170. I
am sick of this conflicting advice. I would like to work with an HONEST
technician who could tell me which part(s) have failed and why. I am in
Noreth Georgia. Any advice on how I could these parts tested or reputable
techs would be appreciated.

It would be helpful if you could describe what exactly it's doing or
not doing. If it's spewing water it's quite different than if the
motor is smoking and not turning.