Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Corner Cab - work in progress

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote

Unless you are requesting tempered glass, it quite easy to cut curves
in float glass. I know a guy who can freehand it. I can do it with
guidelines, and I _know_ you could too. Give him a template or the
frame and it should be no problem at all. Besides, curved glass looks
so much more eloquent when opeing the door.

I agree ... and it's so much easier to run a router with a bearing bit and
then square up the corners than trying to blind cut stopped dadoes.

Would never consider trapping glass in a dado unless one rail
unscrewed, but you are right about the bearing bit. The best part is
that you have no worries about the corners lining up evenly due to
inaccuracies in the positioning of the cuts on the individual sticks.
Or something like that...

Never stopped to think about why, but I have an aversion to working
with/handling glass ... simply don't want to touch the stuff, therefore the
complete ignorance on the subject.

Odd, considering your breadth of experience; but to each to his own.
It's _really_ easy, however. Just watch the edges. You can get thin
float glass on a Sunday from the Borg and cut it in minutes. Even
knock off the edges with emory cloth and sandblast patterns with a
simple thin rubber mask cut with an Xacto knife. All kinds of neat
stuff you can do with glass fairly easily. Just not barefooted.

Pretty much the same way about plumbing ... I can do anything in
construction, from foundations to roofing, but I won't even replace a faucet
washer without a gun to my head.

I pass on the foundations due to the degree of humping involved,
roofing due to the monotony (and the humping), but electrical and
plumbing are OK. But that's me. I can't play the trumpet either.
Even with a gun to my head.

Greg G.