Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default What Size Phase Converter do I need?

"RainLover" wrote in message
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

I'm of the opinion that you should look for a different kiln. There are
no shortcuts to providing the needed wattage---be it with three phase or
single phase. The demand on amperage for the phase converter will be just
as great as if you went single phase directly to the kiln, so I see nothing
gained with the three phase unit aside from lower amperage per leg. Overall,
you'll still consume the same amount of power, and you'll be paying for the
phase converter and its losses in the bargain. You'd be better served to
buy a kiln that is single phase, with a higher current demand (because it's
only single phase)-----and avoid the phase converter. I'd have a totally
different attitude were you powering a machine tool. I wonder if Bruce
would agree?

Harold