Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default My review of Harbor Freight's 93977 Ratcheting Crimper

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:24:03 -0500, Leon Fisk
wrote:

That is nice to know. I'll have to take a look at it next
time I get to HF. So did you buy one?

I did. Looks OK. I like the notion of having compound leverage. It
looks like the "release" point of the ratchet is adjustable, so one
could examine a crimp, maybe do a pull test, and adjust if/as needed.

I'm sure it doesn't compare to a $100 tool, but I think it'll work
considerably better than the pliers-type crimpers.

I suspect ratchet crimpers work really well in a controlled
setting. Where you know the wire size, terminal and
application. Then you can have any Tom, Dick or Harry
squeeze the handle and get the desired result.

A ratchet also enables greater compound leverage, because you can use
several strokes to close the jaws.